Follow me on Instagram! (@tempsec)
Is anyone else finding it hard to get back in to the swing of things after Christmas? I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been ill since New Year, or if I’ve got a minor case of the January blues life is moving at snail pace at the moment. After spending the week sick in bed, I am better now and I’m ready to get 2015 going! Today I opened my new calendar (finally, a fresh start!), caught up with all of my emails and I’m about to jot down some ideas for the next fortnight’s blogpost! I even refreshed my CV and hope that good luck will come my way!
As you can see from the photos, the first two weeks of January consisted of:
– Nice treats for movie night (including candy corn, truffles and BACON flavoured chocolates. It smells like bacon and it contains crispy bacon bits. It is nice but I’ve said before, I’m in to funky flavours! You can buy them from Fenwicks. I also spotted a Chip Shop Curry flavour and Christmas Dinner one too!)
-Posh hot chocolates (flavours are creme brulee, rocky road, mint, chilli and caramel. All really delicious and not as rich as you’d think. It will be suitable for you especially if you don’t like a sickly sweet hot chocolate. With the exception of creme brulee, the other flavours aren’t that sweet.)
– A lot of new bath stuff (that’s the Northern Lights bath bomb on the bottom left hand corner. It’s sooo pretty but also looks a bit like unicorn poo. Tumblr says so.
– Cuddles with Bonnie and Oscar
– Came back to the flat to a new pair of rose gold GHD’s! Look out for the giveaway in February!
-Rummaged through some old belongings whilst I was at my mum’s house and I found a cute Lady Penelope storage tin and an old diary from 1996. My last day of Primary school read “Everyone cried in the last assembly. Even the Year 6 boys. We got a free can of coke at hometime” So easily pleased!!
The second week took a bit of a turn! Everyone in my family had been ill over Christmas and I manage to catch it on the last day of the festive break. I thought I could get away from it! I mean, I can handle the sniffles, no sweat! But I can’t remember the last time I was this ill, so it kind of hit me like a ton of bricks, I didn’t know what to do with myself! I went back home over the weekend and got my mum to cook a good, hearty meal. And I also got to spend some cuddle time with the pets which always does the trick of cheering anyone up! But throughout the week, I was googling like mad for a quick and effective remedies, here are some things that I learned from a really poopy week – I’ll be able to look back on this list next time I’m unwell!
- Be ready with cough sweets or Tyrozets, Vicks, honey and lemon.
- Other remedies to soothe a sore throat include hot cola and lemon, ginger tea, marshmallows, salt gargle
- I found a few spoonfuls of ice cream or frozen yoghurt helps.
- Frozen grapes, ice chips and ice lollies are good for your throat too. But don’t over do the ice lollies or anything sugary, you don’t want to get build up of catarrh and mucus!
- Beecham’s and Lemsip did NOTHING at all. Day and Night nurse works best
- Your nose deserves better than kitchen roll (ouch!). Buy the good stuff
- Balance Me beauty balm will prevent your skin around your nose from getting sore and scabby
- Thermos flask will become your best friend
- I have never appreciated a good quality fleece dressing gown until now! So soft! AND SO WARM! No more shivering
- Don’t underestimate the goodness of vitamin C. In oranges, juice, liquid form, tablets, pastilles… get it any way you can!!
- Stay away from junk food. Don’t touch pizza, stay away from crisps and save the chocs for when you’re feeling better!
- I’m not going to tell you that “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” because I don’t like apples all that much but try to eat what’s good for you, even if you don’t like it.
- It’s ok to rest in bed. I hate being in bed when I’m ill, I hate the time I’ve got to myself to overthink. I felt guilty for taking time off work and being in bed, resting, trying to get better, whilst others were out in the cold or at work. I couldn’t even do work on my computer because my eyes were so sensitive to light! Fluids were just constantly leaking out from my eyes.. But now I’m better, I’m raring to go!!
- Soaking in a hot bubble bath helps a lot, especially if you are feeling a bit run down. No need to get all fancy and faff about with bath bombs and fancy potions. If you’ve got a cold, use a herbal blend or something with eucalyptus in. A drop of lavender oil will help you relax and sleep better too. It doesn’t have to be an expensive bubble bath; Radox has a really good selection, they’re usually £1 from the supermarket when they’re on a promotional offer.
January is always riddled with the flu and high expectations, but I hope you’re all off to a good and healthy start to the year!
Social Media Links