A Day Out In Newcastle | Photo Diary

Theatre Royal Newcastle, Georgian Architecture

A Day Out In Newcastle

We hadn’t been to Newcastle for months so on a whim, we decided to take the train and get ourselves to the Toon! I love getting the train in because I got to walk in to the town and take it all in.
As familiar I am with Newcastle, I definitely take it for granted, especially when I lived there and now I really appreciate every single bit of it when I visit! This time, I wasn’t pacing around in a rush like I normally am so I took that time to look up and for the first time noticed how beautiful the building are.
Maybe, when I was younger (AKA self-involved University student!), I didn’t appreciate things like that back then but these days, I find myself literally looking up and value the surroundings a lot more!

Newcastle Monument
sushi
I think everyone should visit Newcastle at least once! One of my favourite parts of Newcastle – aside from the iconic Quayside – is Grey Street as it’s full of character with it’s Georgian architecture.
newcastle grey street
It has a lot of independent coffee shops, cafes and restaurants, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Dotted around the place are premium brands such as Space NK, Kiehl’s, Jack Wills, Hugo Boss. A short 2 minutes walk around the corner takes you to Northumberland Street, the High Street of Newcastle where you’ll find the best Primark everrrr, TK Maxx, H&M, Eldon Square shopping centre which, alone, houses Debenhams, Fenwicks and John Lewis department stores!
You can imagine how easy to spend an entire day in Eldon Square. There’s also the usual Topshop, Topman, LUSH, Apple Store, Hollister, All Saints, Accessorize, etc etc
The Fat Hippo Underground in newcastle
The Fat Hippo Underground, burgers in newcastle
As you can see from the photos, we grabbed a couple of sushi boxes for lunch, then mooched about in the food hall in Fenwicks, and ended the day at The Fat Hippo Underground for a burger.
I don’t eat beef so I ordered a BBQ chicken burger but my pal had the PB&J which is beef patty with peanut butter and bacon jam! Can’t wait to go back soon!
Christmas chocolates
charbonnel et walker chocolate
marzipan fruit
newcastle grey street

Have you ever visited Newcastle before?

1. October 27, 2014 / 1:32 pm

I love your gorgeous photos and itg looks like you had a fab day out, it really is a beautiful city isn't it? I'm so lucky to be able to wander around Grey Street and shop in Fenwicks nearly every day!
    Rachel

2. October 27, 2014 / 1:39 pm

I am completely in love with Newcastle, from the first second I stepped off the Metro at Monument and saw Grey Street for the first time it hit me what a beautiful city

3. October 27, 2014 / 1:41 pm

and the silly thing is it seems like a secret? No one outside of the North East seems to know. I'm just so thankful my other half was living in Newcastle so I got to experience it, if I hadn't Id probably still be living in London thinking that Newcastle was nothing special!

I want EVERYONE to come visit 🙂

I should probably work for the tourist board?!

Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

4. October 27, 2014 / 2:00 pm

I've never been to Newcastle but it looks fab! Love all the food pictures, I'm hungry now.

5. October 27, 2014 / 7:10 pm

That burger with the fried and courgettes (?) looks amazing. I have been to Newcastle once and I was very surprised at how lovely the city is especially the Georgian architecture you mention!

Amy at Amy & More

6. October 27, 2014 / 7:21 pm

Beautiful photos. I'd love to visit Necastle! And obviously go to Primark there 🙂 on, how I miss Primark!

7. October 27, 2014 / 7:52 pm

I hold my hands up with you when it comes to taking such a beautiful city for granted, never really thought of it from a tourist point of view though. I love Newcastle so much, so proud to call it my home town! 🙂

Yasmina
    thejulyjournal.blogspot.com

8. October 27, 2014 / 8:08 pm

Oh wow I have never been, I am so firmly down south that it's hard to travel too much but definitely want to have a good shop and explore xx

BlondeOfCarbs

9. October 27, 2014 / 11:17 pm

I don't know much about Newcastle, I love those buildings though! Have my eye on all the sweets, haha.