Pinterest is one of my favourite social media platform. It’s kind of a weird one to get your head round at first but once you've figured out how to use Pinterest, you'll realise that the beauty of Pinterest is full of inspiration and you really can get quite carried away!
Unlike Twitter or Instagram, which these days, feels very like it has been taken over by brands who use it as a marketing tool or a platform for bloggers and vloggers to portray the best versions of themselves (*hands up* I'm guilty of it!), Pinterest moves away from that.
Social Media Tips | A Beginner's Guide To PinterestHow you use Pinterest is of course entirely up to you at the end of the day, the same goes for all of the other social media channels. There’s certainly still an element of promotion on Pinterest but the platform is so much more than that. Enjoy it as a platform rather than a promotional tool, and it will all make sense! It’s a friendly, visually pleasing, image based social media platform that absolutely anyone can not only enjoy but feel at ease using.
Consider Pinterest as a virtual scrapbook, a way to store all of your inspiration for your next blogpost or DIY project. Use it to find tips on beauty, cake recipes, party ideas, nail art tutorials, crafts and art, and lots more! You can always rely on Pinterest to inspire you! If you want to start using Pinterest but don't know how, here are a few tips on how you can start! Be prepared to get utterly addicted to Pinning!
Getting Started On Pinterest
1. Firstly, sign up for an account. You can use your email or connect with Twitter or Facebook. The sign up process is quick and straight-forward. It might ask you to follow a few people - but I would skip that bit until you’ve found your feet on Pinterest. Proceed to fill your profile in to tell people who you are, add a profile photo and a website link if you have one.
Create Boards of Inspiration and Follow People Who Inspire You
2. Next step, go ahead and create 5 boards to start with. Give each one a title, be literal and straight to the point, one or two words will do. When you create boards, you can put all of the ‘pins’ on there. Each pin (the photo) should be linked to the original source so when you’re in need of inspiration, you can click through to the website at anytime.
So, create 5 different boards on the things that you like the most. It can be anything at all. A few topical ideas off the top of my head are: BBQ Food, Summer Salads, Festival Fashion, Travelling, and Smoothie Recipes. Popular boards are anything to do with cute animals or weddings! Search for content using the search bar at the top of the window and start re-pinning things you like the look of.
Check out my Pinterest profile, you’re more than welcome to take some ideas from it when creating new boards. Food boards are my favourite because it gives me a lot of ideas on what to cook for lunch and dinner!
3. Once you’ve got some boards and pins in order, you’ll want to start following pinners. Their pins will start showing up on your feed so start searching for people or brands that inspire you. Here are some of my favourites:
Fave Bloggers: StudioDIY, Peony Lim, The Londoner, Linda Lomelino, Gary Pepper Girl
Celebrities: Lauren Conrad, Alicia Silverstone, Nicole Richie
Magazines/Publications: Vogue, Teen Vogue, Nylon, Elle, Telegraph, InStyle
Brands: Topshop, Free People, Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, Nasty Gal
Install The Pinterest Button
4. Re-pinning content is great but what if you want to pin directly from the website you're browsing on? You can use Pinterest as a visual form of bookmarking a site, web page or product. A lot of website have already enabled a way for people to Pin their content easily. Hover over any of the photos on my blog and you'll see a red 'Pin It' button in the corner.
However, not every website has integrated this feature but you can still have full control of what you can pin at the click of a button. Install the Pinterest 'Pin It' button to your browser. Pop over to the goodies page and follow instructions. Once it's installed, click the 'P' whenever you want to add something to your Pinterest boards!
5. HAVE FUN! You're now going to get drawn right in to the world of Pinterest! I love browsing on there everyday for beautiful imagery, motivational quotes, recipes, blogging tips and beauty products. I find it so satisfying to see boards looking so tidy and neat. You can create endless boards, add an infinite amount of inspiration and just have fun with it! And don't forget to Pin your own content to increase traffic to your blog or website!
Let me know how you get on! And don't forget to leave your Pinterest link in the comments and follow me on there!